For Individuals - RaNae teaches this class live online from time to time. Click here to see what classes she is currently offering. Click here to get her newsletter for new classes, quilting tips, and more.
For Quilt Guilds and Shops - This class is available in person or live online through the Zoom platform. Please contact RaNae for more information and to schedule it for your guild or shop.
There's something really special about wrapping up in a T-shirt quilt, feeling all those memories surround and comfort you or someone you love. The look on someone's face when they receive the gift of a t-shirt is beyond words. But getting from a bag of old t-shirts to that magical moment can seem like an overwhelming project. And working with stretchy t-shirts can be really challenging.
But that's about to change . . .
In this class you'll learn to make that t-shirt quilt quilting one shirt at a time!
This approach that has so many advantages! You can
- Easily quilt one shirt at a time YOURSELF on your domestic machine
- Add embellishments such as applique or decorative stitching
- Enhance the memories of each event by telling its story in the quilting design
- Make smaller quilts or pillows with a few t-shirts, then add more as your t-shirt collection grows.
- No big, heavy, stretchy top to fight with
- No need to send it out for quilting
In this class you'll learn how to:
- Quilt one t-shirt at a time on your domestic or longarm machine
- Add quilting and embellishments that will enhance the memories of a shirt by telling its story
- Speed-quilt by combining piecing and quilting in one step
- Calculate quilt size and yardage needed
- Plan a layout
- Join quilted blocks to build your quilt
- Make a quilted t-shirt pillow / Take the pillow apart to build it into a quilt later
- For quilters who have not done free-motion quilting before, we'll cover FMQ basics a few simple patterns.
In the in-person class you'll prepare and quilt a single block, then make it into a pillow (or save it for later if you wish). Making a pillow is a great way to enjoy your memories now, then later, if you decide to make a whole t-shirt quilt, you can easily take apart the pillow and incorporate the sections into a quilt. What a great way to build a quilt block-by-block AND enjoy it in the meantime!
In the online class, you'll have multiple weeks to quilt all your blocks and assemble a completed quilt.
Length: Online: Four 2-hour sessions; In person: Full day (6 hours)
Project: Quilted T-shirt block -- finish into a pillow or incorporate into a larger quilt
Skill Level: All levels
Prerequisites: Basic sewing skills, some FMQ skill is helpful but not required
Materials Fee: TBD, depends on availability of materials