Free-Motion Mastery in a Month draws on my 25+ years experience as a piano teacher to bring you the simplest, most effective system ever for learning or improving free-motion quilting skills. The FMM30 system breaks down the learning process into 30 simple daily lessons that combine four teaching elements: Movement, Tracing, Drawing and Quilting.
Click here to see how it works!!
One of the things that is really unique about Free-Motion Mastery in a Month is that it focuses on movement. Since free-motion quilting is motion, your body must learn to move in order to quilt successfully. So, each of the lessons in FMM30 begins with body and hand movements that train your muscle memory and rhythm before you go to the sewing machine.
You will learn over 50 quilting designs, from straight lines to feathers, based on 6 Basic Shapes. Learning to quilt the 6 Basic Shapes is like learning to write the alphabet -- once you know them you can combine them to quilt ANY design.
Free-Motion Mastery in a Month is designed to be a self-guided course, taking you through the right steps, in the right order to learn free-motion quilting easily and quickly. Use the book and tool kit (it's been updated and improved too!) with a recorded video class or live online class to get the most out of your learning experience. Get a discount when you buy them in a bundle!
This 2nd Edition makes learning free-motion quilting easier than ever before with more than 25 new pages and significant updates to over a dozen more, including:
- Quilting Yoga: This new series of whole-body exercises helps you get the rhythm, speed and flow of quilting into your body even more quickly. Quilting Yoga has been added to most Daily Lessons and access to the videos is included with the book. (Page 42)
- Expanded Quilting Guides and Improved Tracing Sheets: Over 15 new pages of detailed instructions for quilting all the patterns on updated Tracing Sheets. (Quilting Guides begin on page 111)
- Fast Track: An accelerated path through the most important lessons and patterns will get you quilting in as little as one day! (Page 43)
- What Do I Quilt Where? A new section about choosing designs and placing them on a quilt. (Page 98)
- For Longarm Machines: More information about working on a frame-mounted longarm machine for FMM30. (Pages 30, 86 and more)
- Improved Assembly Instructions: These now include how to assemble points more accurately and how to change color in a joining strip. (Page 100)
- Pre-Binding Borders: Bind your quilt much easier and faster by putting bindings on the borders before you attach them to your quilt. (Page 104)
- Ruler Work: A whole new section at the end introduces ruler work, and shows you how to use the curved edges of the Master Trainer to make lines, grids, clamshells and more. (Page 164)
- More information about thread (page 90), marking your quilt (page 119), cutting joining strips (page 31), and much more!
How long is the book?
Are the tracing sheets in the book?
Yes, but will need to copy them out and laminate them. (Warning: some laminating film does not release dry-erase ink!) Most people find that by the time you do all that, plus purchase and/or gather up the other tools you'll need, the Free-Motion Mastery in a Month Tool Kit is a great value and gets you started without procrastinating!
Is the 2nd edition included in FMM30 product bundles?
Yes. The 1st edition has been discontinued. All bundles and product combinations that include the book have the 2nd edition.